Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Original Family Ironman

My father grew up poor in rural North Carolina. After serving in the Marines in Korea, he made his way to Washington. D.C. to attend college on the GI Bill. He then went to work at the ticket counter at United Airlines where he met my mother. During this time, he held down a full time job while taking a full course load. His co-workers agreed to change their schedules so that he could attend classes during the day and work in the evening shift. After completing the swing shift, he would sit down to study until late at night. According to my mother, his coworkers were so impressed with his dedication and hard work that they called him "The Ironman".
I lost my father to a disecting aortic aneurysm in the early months of my residency. His tireless commitment to his family, his marriage and his work are a major source of inspiration to me during this training and I will try to follow his lead during the Ironman race this fall.
Here he is pictured with his little girl, my adorable sister Trisha.

No comments:

Post a Comment